Our Top Seven are greeted by a wall of heads when they arrive in the shop. Brian tells them that these are the heads they will be bringing to life this week–magical creatures who have been slain and mounted on a wizard’s wall. They will tell us how they died and how they feel about their lives now that they hang out all day.
Gigi drops the big news–this is their first solo challenge. Three days to build your own semi mechanized hand puppet. I am all for seeing how these guys do. Ben gets to pick his head first since he won the last challenge.
- Ben: Horse Head
- Jake: Bear Head
- Robert: Warthog Head
- Melissa: Goat Head
- Ivonne: Badger Head
- Russ: Cow Head
- Lex: Cat Head
The shop super is Peter Brooke this week. He explains these heads are just the base form. They are to sculpt their own piece on top of it. Then JHCS will bring in their professional moldmakers to mold their pieces overnight. This ensures no mold drama, and lets the designers focus on fabrication and motors.
Jake turns his head into a troll. Ben is making a tree person. Ivonne sketches a dragon idea. Russ is making a minotaur and swinging his dick around saying “go big or go home.” (We can hope for the latter.) Robert is making a “hippie camel.” Lex is aiming for a chubracabra hellcat. Melissa is going for sea serpent. At the end of the day they turn their sculptures over to the professionals and are rewarded with perfect molds the next morning.
Day Two: Mechanical issues. Melissa, Lex and Ivonne are all weak in this department. Melissa leans on Robert to help talk her through it. Ivonne turns to Russ, which strikes me as a bad idea. Russ has opinions. Of course he does.
There’s no walk through until Day Three. Oh dear. Walkthroughs need to happen early on. In fact, the earlier, the better. It took Face Off a few seasons to figure that out. It looks like JHCSC is also going to have that learning curve.
- Melissa: She looks Peter dead in the eye and announces she’s drowning. He wants to help. But she needed eye mech and time management intervention yesterday. Today is too late. All he can say is “pick your battles.”
- Robert: His camel’s eyes are not perfect. Peter says to take the time to fix it.
- Ivonne: Another drowning victim, with no time left to help. Her eye mech doesn’t even fit in the mold. Peter has nothing to give her except that fur might cover the worst of it.
- Russ: He’s already painted, which means there’s little Peter can interject at this point to change the course he’s on.
- Ben: The only thing Peter questions is the choice of the independently moving eyes, which he thinks Brian won’t care for.
- Jake: His troll is looking good. Peter frets about time management.
- Lex: She’s the third drowner, totally done in by her non working mech. Peter looks ill.
By the end of the day, there is no help for it. There are a couple of crash and burns coming.
Day of the screen test and Melissa somehow got a finished looking creature from god knows where. Ugly, but done. Lex also pulled something out. Ivonne? Not so much.