….and then there were 14. We’re treated to Raul saying the stupidiest thing, calling “pretty”a one trick pony. Does he not know of Badgley Mischka?
What the heck is Heidi wearing today? Did Seal get custody of the fashion sense when they divorced? Gunnar calls her “life size Barbie.” Life size Barbie needs to stop wearing PJs to work.
The contestants head to South Street Seaport for no discernible reason, except that out back there’s a nice bit spot where the show could park a bunch of expensive cars. Yes, expensive cars! No, this is not the Idol finale, this challenge is brand whored by Lexus! We are even treated to a Lexus commercial during this segment by some Lexus representative who Tim brought along for the occasion. Exactly how the cars fit in to the challenge is never really explained, but whatever. It is a Red Carpet Challenge for the Emmys. (Guess what Raul–pretty would help here.) It is immediately obvious this is a group challenge because there are half as many cars to be assigned as their are contestants. The color of the Lexus you get has to be included somehow in the red carpet look–other than that the cars, and their brand, are extraneous. The clients are past Project Runway contestants who are attending the Emmys. There is a $300 budget, and this is a one day challenge–the winner (not the winning team, just the winner) gets to accompany their client to the Emmys.
Groups: Car Color, Clients are as follows:
- Christopher&Andrea: Brown, Anya
- Nathan&Sonjia: Gold, Valerie
- Buffi&Elena: Black, Laura
- Ven&Fabio: Blue, Kenley
- Gunnar&Kooan: White, Irina
- Dmitry&Michelle: Silver, April
- Alicia&Raul: Red, Mila
Noted that Christopher calls Anya “my client” and not “our client.” Anya wants a more structured outfit than a flowy thing she’s known for. Fabio doesn’t like Kenley. His opinions are not going to matter, because Ven totally takes charge of their sketching and the project. Irina wants a black dress, and Gunnar suggests “white accents” since he has to incorporate the car color–noted that if he told her that was why the white accents, the show edited it out. Irina annoyedly tells him he’s not allowed to make her into a checker board. Alicia and Raul want to do menswear for Mila. Mila looks a bit ill and demands if they are uncomfortable making her a dress. Raul admits he’s never made an evening gown. (Neither has Alicia.) They are officially going to be a disaster. Melissa likes that April’s hair is purple, and she plans to keep it that way. Buffi and Laura hit it off, Elena seems left out.
On to Mood! Gunnar treats Kooan like an irritating assistant. Dmitry and Melissa can’t find silver jersey and have to buy silk charmeuse instead. Ven obediently buys tulle for Kenley. Buffi seems to have submitted to Elena’s enormous shoulder habit. And there’s Swatch the Puppy!
Let’s get to some team challenge drama. Christopher may spew words about being honored to work with Andrea and learn from her, but he’s totally trying to run her over. At least Gunnar is up front about running Kooan’s ideas out on a rail. Elena is totally treating Buffi like her assistant, giving her the bullshit busy work of ironing pleats, while Elena constructs the dress. Buffi is not pleased, while Elena is having a meltdown at how long Buffi is taking, which helps no one. Ven refers to himself as “stuck with Fabio” and makes fun of him for not having a formal education. Ugh.
Tim Time! The clients each join him for the critique.
- Gunnar lets Kooan do the talking in their presentation of a dummy covered in tape. Irina looks a bit confused. Gunnar says he wants to smack her for not liking his idea. Meanwhile Tim says what they are suggesting is borderline vulgar. (Not just Irina who thinks you’re awful, Gunnar!) Gunnar grumps that he wants Kenley. Oooookay.
- April loves the silk charmeuse that Dimtry and Melissa have on the dummy for her. Everyone agrees this stuff is going to be a bitch to work with.
- Mila’s face is hard and angry at the sight of the print Alicia and Raul have chosen for her, and snaps that prints look “daytime.” Tim backs her up. Raul is all about the print and a bit defensive when Tim says it’s a nice top but not for this event. It turns out Raul and Alicia do have a good quantity of black fabric, so this outfit could be saved.
- Cut to Kenley looking at Ven’s work and saying “Fabulous!” and saying he has great taste in fabric. Match made in heaven.
- Valerie is also very rah-rah-rah about the gold sequins Nathan and Sonjia have going and says it’s ok to cut her dress down to there, since she’s pretty flat chested.
- Anya likes Andrea’s ideas over Christopher’s. By the end of their session Christopher is totally lost and upset his ideas have been ignored. He claims to not understand what’s going on anymore now that things are no longer going his way, and starts pouting.
- Elena straight IGNORES Tim and Laura during their critique because she’s so frantic. Buffi tries to tell her to calm down and Elena starts lashing out at her as soon as they leave.
Buffi is just like “Oh hell no. This is not what I signed up for.” Elena has run off and is having a panic attack in a closet. The other designers tell Buffi to take over. Elena can’t get over that she has 24 hours and that the show gives them so little time. (Hello, did you never watch an episode of this show? Maybe you only watched the Bravo years?) They are officially the melt-down team. Buffi really needs a break to eat and Elena cannot hear her. In the end, Elena calms down and the dress seems to have come out. Buffi is just like “See? I could have eaten dinner after all!”
Christopher has turned on Andrea completely, bitching about her speed as soon as she’s out of the room, and acting like the fact that they’re dress is steadily going down the tubes is all her fault. Meanwhile Raul has decided since he sucks as making his first evening gown that he now hates red carpet wear for ever and ever. So positive!
Day of runway and Andrea is having merrow machine issues–Christopher doesn’t understand why she’s having a sense of humor about things. Meanwhile everyone in the room calls Kooan and Gunnar’s dress “Gunnar’s dress” and, currently, it looks godawful. Irina is horrified at how it fits her. Kooan is too depressed to fix it. Gunnar ends up sewing her into the dress as she berates him.
Let’s go to the runway!