We’re back in the runway studio this week, but no Television of PreTaped Appearances is to be seen. Why has the show done away with such an embarrassing item? Because our celebrity guest is here on the runway with Alyssa. It’s telling that the contestants know her instantly from her silhouette behind the “Project Runway” scrim: Nina Garcia.
Nina is here to tell us all about this blog she just discovered called “StyleHall.” Nina Garcia has discovered the internet everyone! Be afraid. She’s claimed to have brought five bloggers along with her, each of whom will pair with the contestants to identify a fashion trend for 2014. As SethAaron says “Bloggers! They’re the driving force in fashion! They’re celebrities!” (We are? Perhaps I should not be blogging this in my PJs then.) The bloggers are also the models–so this is the “Everyday Woman” challenge. The twist is that they have to somehow incorporate the Pantone color of the year for 2014: Radiant Orchid. The prize package for this challenge is pretty sweet: getting on the front page of StyleHall, getting endorsed by Nina, and a $10K package from Pantone that includes a trip to Belgium.
Back in the workroom, the designers pick their bloggers by their headshots displayed on tablets. I think that’s partly because one of them–Gigi, for those that don’t know–is transgender, and they didn’t want that effecting any decisions.
- Korto: Carli (TheBeautyByble)
- Christopher: Fleur (Fleur de Force)
- SethAaron: Gigi (The Gregory Gorgeous)
- Elena: Dulce (DulceCandy)
- Viktor: Jarmaine (JlovesMac)
Our designers get down to watching videos by their bloggers while waiting for them to arrive. When they show up there’s not a lot of discussion of Trends of 2014 as much as we are talking about their own style and dressing our bloggers the way we do for everyone “Real Woman” challenge. Then it’s off to Mood with a $200 budget. I’m noticing that the show refers to how much time the contestants have this year in hours, since otherwise they’re all “one day challenges.” This one is an 11 hour challenge.
Elena notes that everyone has neoprene as part of their 2014 trend, and gets all bitter because she’s been using it since 2010. She’s also terrified of seeing Nina again in a runway sitch, since Nina tore her to shreds on the regular during the normal season. I think that covers the Elena drama this week nicely.
On to Zanna!
- Korto: Her trend for 2014 is a “white suit” plus “architectural detailing” in the vest. ZRR says this plays right into Nina’s trends at MCM with high end officewear.
- SethAaron: His idea for 2014 is to marry the seam trend with the colorblock trend, and use the Patone color heavily. ZRR loves it.
- Christopher: His trend is “lace+military.” He says he hasn’t seen a feminine trench done before, to which ZRR giggles: “Burberry?” Apparently he’s not into the orchid color so it’s only in his accessories.
- Viktor: His trend choice is lame: “Good Girl Gone Bad.” ZRR looks sad.
- Elena: Her trend is “texture+color” The jacket is a whole lot of jacket. It’s bordering on the Romulan looks Elena falls back on. ZRR loves it, which elates Elena.
Viktor is trying to find his way out of ZRR sad doom looks, with paint. In the workroom, the bloggers come and go. They don’t mention Michelangelo. They do have their hair and makeup already thought through though. Elena’s jacket is way too big on her model, and she has a small meltdown. SethAaron’s dress isn’t quite fitting. Viktor’s model wants her clothes tighter. Viktor is throws it away and remaking his whole outfit with only an hour to go on the day. His new trend is “make your own textile.” This is a massive improvement.
Day of runway and the bloggers are filed through the Product Displaying Make Up People and the Name Dropping Hair Salon Ninnies. Unlike the regular models, They Have Opinions. Korto is inwardly panicking she won’t finish. She’s trying to hide it, but the blogger smells that things aren’t good. Elena has refitted the jacket and it looks so much better. Viktor’s blogger loves her new outfit.
Let’s see how this all turned out.